Friday, August 12, 2011

Virginia Trip: Part two

Sorry for the lapse in blogging. Let’s see, where did I leave off…? Oh, right. The day after going on a pontoon, we went to Michie Taverns and Thomas Jefferson’s home. At Michie Taverns, we saw…

  • That taverns were also inns
  • Where the expression “sleep tight” probably came from (There were ropes on the bed holding people up.
  • That playing cards didn’t used to have numbers on them.

And probably a lot more that I momentarily forgot. At Thomas Jefferson’s house…

  • Thomas Jefferson had a bunch of collections in his front entryway. He once said,
                   “There isn’t a blade of grass that doesn’t interest me.”
                                                    -Thomas Jefferson

  • I noticed he had a hot pink bedspread. What’s with that?? Maybe pink wasn’t a girly color yet…
  • He invented a device that made a copy of everything he wrote.
  • He ate lunch at 3:30
  • Thomas Jefferson loved to record weather (e.g. temperature, wind direction.).
And, yet again, there was much more that I momentarily forgot.


August 10: Last night, Kate stuck her elbow in my mouth, so in the morning, I chomped on Veggie Sticks to get her arm OUT OF MY MOUTH. When I FINALLY woke her up, she told Ryleigh and me about her dream.

             Someone reached into Kate’s pocket, and grabbed her box of Tic Tacs. They crunched them loudly, exactly in time to Kira’s noisy crunching.

In the afternoon, we played mini golf ( I actually did okay for once in my life) and then we went paddleboating. Ow! Hurting feet! That night, we went “swimming” were I totally tromped Kate and Ryleigh at Air Hockey in the arcade. I had lost my goggles. Hence no swimming.

August 11: Today was a day for visiting Ash Lawn Highland (James Monroe’s home) and when we all got in the car and were about halfway there, I looked down and I was WEARING MY SLIPPERS! Did I have to wear them all day? Yes! At Ash Lawn Highland, we entered the house and…

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guide’s mouth started flying! I don’t remember half of it, but…

  • James Monroe’s wife was 4 foot 10 inches.
  • Her favorite color was blue.
  • She was from New York.
  • She also didn’t like being in close quarters with others.
  • James Monroe was fired 3 times, but he kept trying.
  • They were both partial to French food.

Next was Montpelier (James Madison’s home) There…

  • James Madison moved to Montpelier when he was 14.
  • The color of the door was gold. (Yuck! With bricks! Yuck!)
  • Inside, they were still trying to recover furniture, so it was very plain. I still liked their home best because it was big AND modest at the same time.
  • We saw James Madison’s library.
 That’s about all I remember.  Thank you for reading this post and caring about the things I do on this trip. Bye!

No comments: