Friday, March 14, 2008

Reports? For a second grader?

I was NOT happy when I saw that I had to do a report about a famous person and present it to the class. Well, I still had to do it so I did Jane Addams. when I finally finished and was ready to do my report Ms.Dood took a picture. When I Got started, a min. later my poster fell down. I had to pick it up. It happened again!!! The rest of the way through I was really embarrassed. I even forgot to do the part where I tell a timeline of her! HOW AWFUL!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Beccy said...

She was nervous, but she still did a good job. Her posters were very nice, too.

Anonymous said...

I think you should include your picture here... also, since the rest of us didn't get to hear the report, what can you tell us about Jane Addams?

Kath said...

At least your teacher took the picture before the poster fell, right?

What can you tell us about Jane Addams? When did she live?

karen said...

Was Jane Addams part of the Addams family?, or was she a First Lady? I could use a little help here!!:)
I am sure you did a great job on your report. You are very well spoken.

Kira Joy Blann said...

Actually, John Addams IS Jane's father, but John Adams the president spelled it differently. Her father was a state Senator and a friend of Abraham Lincoln.
Jane Addams was born in Cedarville,Illinois in 1860. When she was little, she wanted to help poor people. After she finished college, she started to study medicine, but she had back problems, so she dropped out. She moved to Chicago, where she started looking in the slums to find a way to help poor people. She bought a mansion in a part of town that used to be nice, but wasn't anymore. She wanted her neighbors to come visit her and have a nice, safe place to hang out and make friends. But people didn't trust her at first. Then they started to.

She threw a Christmas party for some of the girls, and a lot of her friends donated candy. But none of the girls even TOUCHED the candy. Jane was very confused, but finally she figured out what was wrong. The girls had all been working at a local factory, a candy factory, and they were sick of looking at candy! Jane didn't like this, so she asked the factory owners to stop making kids work. The factory owners fought back, but Jane Addams fought back too. Finally, she got a law passed that children under 14 weren't allowed to work, and children under 16 could only work 8 hours a day.

While she was trying to make the law pass, she noticed that women did not have the right to vote. So she helped form a group of people that helped give women the right to vote (they succeeded!)

In her neighborhood, she noticed a lot of garbage on the street. She got a job as a garbage inspector. Probably because of her, Chicago has one of the best garbage collection departments. She also raised money to help build the first public playground in the U.S.

Then she won the Nobel Peace Prize, but she couldn't travel to accept it because she was in the hospital.

Daddy, I don't think we got the photo. I think it's going in my class scrapbook.

karen said...

Wow, it sounds like Jane Addams was quite a woman. Thanks for the history lesson. Love the pictures of you and Jersey on your mom's blog.

Mason said...

Your sidebar says your seven. Last I checked you were eight!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kira!
That's a great report! Thanks for sharing. Did you keep the posters?
Love,
Grandma Shirley